About Huntington Coach Corp.
Founded in 1927 by the Dempsey family of Huntington, Huntington Coach began operating as a public transit company, serving the town of Huntington. During World War II, the company transported workers to local factories.
In 1950, Ernest Schenk, who operated his own large transit company in Floral Park, purchased the company from the Dempsey family for his son, who wished to enter the transportation business. This idea didn’t pan out, and in 1955, Mr.Schenk sold both Huntington Coach and it’s sister company, Hendrickson Bus (another small transit company, also founded in 1927, that he had purchased from the Hendrickson family in 1950), to Mr. James Clifford (a former driver and labor leader at Schenk Transportation) and his wife, Dorothy Clifford. At the time of this purchase, Huntington Coach operated fifteen transit buses for the town of Huntington, and Hendrickson Bus operated fifteen transit buses and two buses transporting school children for the Bayville-Brookville-Locust Valley Schools.